Herptofauna
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brown Recluse bite photos may be disturbing

Go down

Brown Recluse bite photos may be disturbing Empty Brown Recluse bite photos may be disturbing

Post  Admin Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:47 pm

BITE PHOTOS AND INFORMATION

** The following information was compiled from various medical and collegiate sources. It is not intended to replace the advice or diagnosis of a medical professional. Some of the photos may be disturbing **

Identifying a Brown Recluse Spider Bite Bibliography

If you see a mark on your skin that you think may resemble a spider bite, examine the bite very closely. If it is a spider bite, there will be two separate "fang marks" about 1/16th of an inch apart. The next step is for the fang marks and surrounding tissue to eventually turn darker in color due to necrosis. The surrounding skin will be red in color.

If there is only one puncture present, the bite was more likely made by a mosquito, deer fly, or other insect. It may also be a sting or a thorn puncture.

If you think you have a Brown Recluse bite, the only 100% sure way of knowing you have a bite is to catch the spider that bit you and have it identified by an expert.

We offer a free spider identification service. Simply contact us with your photo(s) and we'll help to confirm whether or not it is a recluse spider.

Effects of the bite -

In a short period of time, the venom in a Brown Recluse spider bite has the ability to cause major tissue necrosis. Necrosis is the death of living cells. The venom comes into contact with the living cells and they simply die. The result is a very painful and gruesome "flesh-rotting" open wound.

Fatalities are rare, but are most common with children, the elderly, and those in poor physical condition. The severity of the bite wound can vary greatly with some bites going unnoticed while others (though rare) reach the size of dinner plates. The amount of venom the spider injects can vary and tests indicate the spider is able to control the amount of venom injected.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Brown Recluse spider bites can be difficult to diagnose, even by physicians. Diagnostic tests to detect Brown Recluse venom in tissue are not readily available.

Collection of the spider that bit you is considered the best possible chance for positive identification. This presents a problem because Brown Recluse bites sometimes do not result in any initial pain (43% of cases in one study). Since the bite may not be immediately noticed, collection of the spider isn't seen as a necessity.

As soon as 2 hours after the bite, or as long as a week, the area may become painful, itchy, hot, swollen, red and tender. An irregular ulcerous sore, caused by necrosis, will often appear that is from 1/4 inch to 10 inches in diameter.

Prompt attention is the best defense against preventing the necrosis. The wound is often described as being dark colored in the center, surrounded by a reddish area with a narrow whitish separation in between the red and the blue. This gives it the famous "bull's eye" pattern.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
If the wound is becoming necrotic, it will often begin to turn purple within 24 hours. If the skin does turn purple, it is likely that necrosis is on the way and will then turn black as the cells die.

Eventually, the necrotic core will fall off and leave a deep pit. A sinking blue-gray impression in the skin is the result. This is due to the lack of a good blood supply to the center of the wound.

Deep scarring can occur after healing. Scarring may look like a hole had been scooped out of the body. In some cases, necrosis can reappear months or even years after being bitten. Sometimes necrosis will reappear on a yearly basis (See below).

Necrosis takes a long time to heal with some victims experiencing pain for months and even years after being bitten.

Our customers report that our First Aid Kit healed their necrotic wound, and that having a kit on hand prevents severe necrosis from ever appearing:

Brown Recluse First Aid Kit Testimonial:

"My husband showed me a spot on his side where he had just been bitten by "something", at first I thought it was a mosquito bite. 5 minutes later, he showed me again, this time the spot was raised and swelled to the size of a quarter, with a definite "target" area in the center. I circled the area with a black marker, a few minutes later, it doubled in size. I decided then to use my brown recluse first aid kit. I mixed up the contents and put it on him, wrapping it with plastic wrap and an ace bandage. Followed the directions and re-applied the mixture an hour later. Within two hours the wound was gone. No sign of the bite. Although he didn't see the spider that bit him, we have struggled with brown recluse infestations since we moved into this house three years ago. We aren't willing to take any chances. The Brown Recluse First Aid Kit saved my husband many hours/days/months of pain and recovery time. THANKS!" Melinda B. - Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

Systemic symptoms

Those having the following symptoms are less likely to experience a necrotic wound. The theory is that the venom circulates through the bloodstream rather than being localized in the skin. These symptoms are:

Fever
This victim saw the spider on her foot as she got out of the shower. She eventually had to have her leg amputated below the knee. Bathtubs and showers are common locations for these spiders because they get trapped within the smooth surfaces.

Chills
Sweating
Nausea
Vomiting
Joint Pain
Jaundice
Blood in urine
Seizures
Coma
Kidney Failure
Hemolysis
Not all bites will have the same effect. There have been cases where deaths were attributed to Brown Recluse bites, but it is not common. Secondary infections can occur. The degree of severity depends on:

How much, if any, venom was injected.

The overall health of the victim and strength of the immune system.

The age of the victim. Children under 7 are particularly susceptible to life threatening reactions.

Potential allergic reaction to the bite.
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://herptofauna.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down