Herptofauna
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hybrid ??? for or against?

3 posters

Go down

Hybrid ??? for or against? Empty Hybrid ??? for or against?

Post  Admin Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:20 pm

The word hybrid is a term applied by plant and animal breeders to the offspring of a cross between two different subspecies or species. Hybrids between different species within the same genus are sometimes known as interspecific hybrids. Hybrids between different sub-species within a species are known as intra-specific hybrids. Hybrids between different genera are sometimes known as intergeneric hybrids.The offspring of an interspecific or intergeneric cross may be sterile. Sterility is often attributed to the different number of chromosomes the two species have.For me the problem with hybrids is that "The genetic purity of the race will be lost Honestly, the number of uneducated/unprofessional/unscrupulous dealers and breeders out there is huge and any form of monitoring is impractical. What is your view on Hybids ? are you for or against it ?
Admin
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://herptofauna.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hybrid ??? for or against? Empty Re: Hybrid ??? for or against?

Post  Stephan9268 Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:23 pm

Good subject, generelly i am aginst hybrids of any form but it isnt that easy , Hybrids of diffrentspecies is a big no no in my eyes . it hardly happends in mother nature and seeing some of the hybrids that you see offered in the reptilie market today is scary . As for subspecies well here it get difficult . Best to see this would be morelia spilota ssp, the lving areas of those with exception of M.s. harrisoni very often cross in to each other and it does happen in nature that crossbreeds happen , sad thign is that many breeders use that as an excuse just to go on with taht in captivity wich isnt right , same could be said bout boa.c.c and boa c.i . Since for both species the country of orgin is either closed or most of them getting to that point to get fresh material from the source i think the species reall should only be breedwithin there own subspecies or as in boa s case even only in there locality type even
Stephan9268
Stephan9268

Back to top Go down

Post  VenomVyxen Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:54 am

I'm still debating my own views on the subject.
Loss of pure genetics is a fear of mine as well, but I don't feel I can elaborate on that without further investigation.
There are certain hybrids that I find acceptable, and others I feel are done simply for shock value. I suppose it's up to an individual to say where he or she draws the line. For example, I don't understand how Burmballs were a good idea. However, I don't see much problems in crossing milks and kings since they are so close in taxonomy. In the same jest, though, I would not like to see captive populations of certain subspecies of Lampropeltis "ruined" because breeders didn't show show enough care in preserving a particular line.
Bat Eaters are something I would enjoy trying my own hand at one day simply because I choose to leave breeding commonly available animals to breeders. I don't need to bring more Corn Snakes into a world where there are enough people to do that already and there are too many unwanted Corn Snakes as it is (even though I would enjoy the learning experience). Producing Bat Eaters for the sheer joy of it would be acceptable for me to do in my eyes because A) It would be a stroke of luck to get fertile eggs to begin with and B) Bat Eaters have a high enough price tag for me not to have to worry about someone buying one, then not giving a sh*t about it later. Burms and Retics do have some overlap of their preferred wild habitats, so it -is- possible that this hybridization could happen naturally (not probable, but -possible-).
That all being said, I personally believe that there are still enough purists in the herpetocultural community to keep things from getting -too- out of control. It's just up to us to keep a watchful eye and make sure that these aesthetic/experimental hybrids have the ability to live as healthy animals.
VenomVyxen
VenomVyxen

https://facebook.com/TheVenomVyxen

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum