Herptofauna
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

There are 2 types of venomous keepers. Ones that have been bitten, and ones that will be bitten

3 posters

Go down

There are 2 types of venomous keepers. Ones that have been bitten, and ones that will be bitten Empty There are 2 types of venomous keepers. Ones that have been bitten, and ones that will be bitten

Post  Atheris_ceratephora Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:38 am

I am not a fan of this statement.

I believe when working with venomous, that one must NEVER get within the bite range of the animal. One must also treat the animals with the utmost of respect.

I think an emergency plan should be put into place, etc...but for the most part. Don't screw around...Don't get bit. Read books, talk to other keepers, Get a "Mentor" and learn from that person. Set up your venomous room properly. Make sure your lifestyle works with the desire to keep venomous animals.

Just a thought Wink

Atheris_ceratephora

Back to top Go down

There are 2 types of venomous keepers. Ones that have been bitten, and ones that will be bitten Empty Re: There are 2 types of venomous keepers. Ones that have been bitten, and ones that will be bitten

Post  Stephan9268 Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:53 am

i have kept venemous for about six almost seven years now and never been biten , dont plan on it either , i allways handle them with most respect and allways go saftey first no mather wich species . especially with crotalus and bitis species i use everprecaution there is avaiable to make sure nothign happens
Stephan9268
Stephan9268

Back to top Go down

There are 2 types of venomous keepers. Ones that have been bitten, and ones that will be bitten Empty Re: There are 2 types of venomous keepers. Ones that have been bitten, and ones that will be bitten

Post  The Herp Father Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:30 pm

Atheris_ceratephora wrote:I am not a fan of this statement.

I believe when working with venomous, that one must NEVER get within the bite range of the animal. One must also treat the animals with the utmost of respect.

I think an emergency plan should be put into place, etc...but for the most part. Don't screw around...Don't get bit. Read books, talk to other keepers, Get a "Mentor" and learn from that person. Set up your venomous room properly. Make sure your lifestyle works with the desire to keep venomous animals.

Just a thought Wink

Granted, I like your view. However, one issue. How would we get the proteins we use to make say antivenom and countless other medicines that are derived from venom without coming into the "bite range"? Not to mention the fact that as human beings we will get complacent, I have yet to meet a "seasoned" venomous keeper who has never been tagged.
The Herp Father
The Herp Father

http://www.reptileapartment.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down